Wednesday, December 2, 2009

The Drama Queen Diagnosis

I've got a little secret to share with ya'll. I'm a little dramatic. Actually, I'm a whole lotta dramatic if I'm being honest. I've always been the lone kid completely losing it when the school bus is late. You know that little girl you heard screaming bloody murder in the dentist's office? Yeah, that was me. And that woman that you stepped over when she passed out in line to give blood? Me, again.

My mom says I was born in pretty much a constant state of panic. As a child, everything freaked me out. I would hyperventilate ever time she trimmed my bangs. I can still remember sitting on a chair in the middle of kitchen, my heart beating a mile a minute, my stomach churning. "Careful, Mom!" I would scream. "Don't poke my eye out with those scissors!! Oh my god, my ear! Don't cut my ear off!" And somehow, my mother would manage not to seriously maim me or even give me a little nip out of frustration. Although, I am sure she was tempted.

I used to panic every afternoon in elementary school that I would somehow miss the bus. Around 2:30, I'd start to watch the clock. By 2:45 I was nervously tapping my foot. Five minutes later I would be trying to pack my desk supplies up. Ten minutes later, I would be sitting on the edge of my seat, counting the seconds. And by the time 3:10 rolled around and the bell rang, I would literally explode out of my seat. Waiting for my schoolmates to get in line would throw me into a frenzy. Why aren't they hurrying? THEY ARE GONNA MISS THE BUS! I had no idea what happened if you did miss the bus, but I didn't want to find out! The funny thing was, we lived literally a mile down the road. My mom could be there in minutes. I don't know why I worried about it so much. My mom swears it was because my dad went to work at 4pm and I was scared I wouldn't see him before he left. All I know is, missing the bus was my biggest fear. Screw aliens and monsters, I was not gonna spend five minutes alone with all those teachers.

Unfortunately, I never outgrew my sense of drama. There are some moments of my life that are funny to me now, but horrifyingly embarrassing when they happened. Let's see.. how about the time I passed out after viewing a plastic brain on a hospital field trip? Oh and there is always the moment when I puked in a paper bag, because I was so nervous, while on a date with Craig. Or the time the elevator got stuck in the building I worked in. The thing stopped between floors for literally 30 seconds. About five seconds into the ordeal, I was beating on the doors, screaming "We're gonna run out of air!!!". Did I mention my boss and his boss were in the elevator as well?

Surprisingly,during the big moments in my life I managed to remain cool. While working as a bank teller, we were robbed and I stayed relatively calm. I did not pass out, which seems to be my go-to move. I was scared, but the panic did not kick in until days after. During the birth of my daughter, I was cool and collected. I pushed for hours and it hurt like hell, but I was like a different person. I was okay with it. I did not really even feel nervous until they strapped me to the table for the c-section.

I was like a different person in those moments. I can't understand it. But if I am in line at the supermarket and they announce that they are closing in five minutes, I'm a wreck. If I am 2 days late paying the electric bill, I'm sure that every utilities truck that goes down the street is here to shut me off. If I have a slight fever, I am pretty much positive that its meningitis.

So, why am I like this? I was born that way, is the simple answer. It sucks. People tell me to just "stop worrying." Oh honey, if it were that easy don't you think I would have ended this issue a long time ago? Don't you think I would have loved to live a "normal" life, instead of constantly worrying about those I love? Do you think I enjoy the heart wrenching moments of sheer dread? If I could change anything in my life, anything at all, it would be to calm my worrisome mind.

I was finally diagnosed with a severe anxiety/panic disorder when I was 20. I hate saying that. It's embarrassing. There is such a stigma that comes along with it. So, I joke about it. I make light of it. I try to be open about it, but I feel judged sometimes. And I don't like that feeling. Those that have never experienced a true panic attack, don't get it. And I hope they never do. But I also hope that can learn to look at people like me with a little compassion.

When the doctors finally figured out what my whole deal was, and told me it was an anxiety disorder, I was a little shocked. I'm not nuts, I thought. I'm just a little nervous. But then I started to research it a little.. and oh my gosh. It was as if a weight was lifted off my shoulders. I was not the only one like this. The list of symptoms were so familiar. The patients personal stories were like reading my own diary. I had found a name for my problem. I had found other people out there like me. I wasn't as strange as I thought I was.

I started medication and I hated it. I still hate it. I've been on and off of it for ten+ years now. Sometimes it works well, other times it seems to wear off. So, I stop taking it. Then my symptoms get worse and it's just a whole downward spiral. I go back on it. I feel better. And the cycle continues.

One particularly bad cycle was after I had my daughter. I had gone off the medication while pregnant and after her birth, I went into a terrible state of post-partum depression. I have never, ever, felt like this in my life. I was beyond depressed. Life was dark. Here I was, the mother of this beautiful baby girl, and I didn't even want to go outside, take a shower or even just get my ass off the couch. I started to have weird memory lapses. I would get in the car to go somewhere and suddenly, I had no idea where I was going. I pulled over the side of road and cried for ten minutes because I didn't know what I was doing or how to get home. This was a road I had driven on everyday of my life for ten years. I would get in line at the grocery store and have to leave my entire cart sitting there because I was too anxious to stand in line. But the worst moment, was when I was driving over the bridge to my parents house and I actually pulled over and started to open the door. Without even thinking, I was gonna jump. I saw a cop car coming up the lane behind me and I panicked and drove off. I went to the doctor the next day. I had never experienced depression before, I'd always been on the other side of the spectrum, anxious and keyed-up. This dark new territory was terrifying. With the help of my doctor, I came out of it. I was definitley post partum depression, just like many people you hear about on tv, and think "what's wrong with that woman? Why can't she snap out of it?". I was humiliated and scared. But now I am open about it. Because if it can happen to me, someone who is hyper and giddy and just a ball of nerves, it can happen to anyone. Thank God I got help.

I don't even know why I am telling you all this. Some of you know my history. Some of you don't. Some of you will judge me now forever, and some of you will tell me your own stories of depression and anxiety. Some of you will think nothing of it, until you see someone in your own life struggling with issues like these. I hope you think of me and treat them with kindness.

I guess the big news I have is that I will be starting therapy next month. I'm excited. I'm eager to learn why and how this disorder works. I want some coping strategies. I want to learn to deal with this stuff in case my daughter shows signs of it. I want to begin to accept that this is just me. This is who I am. I don't show many people this side, only my husband and my best friends. But I am trying to share my stories in hopes that it will help me come to terms with my issues. I've got tons of them and they are just taking up too much space in my life. My ultimate goal is to be off of medication and maybe even become a counselor. But in the meantime, I'm taking it one day at a time and trying to acknowledge that this is me. Take it or leave it.

32 comments:

  1. Good for you for talking about it. I honestly think every person can benefit from therapy on and off throughout life. I feel better now that I'm off of my meds but somedays? Somedays you just need help and if a little pill can calm you down when you feel like all is lost, then do it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for opening up. My husband too was diagnosed with PAD (Panic Anxiety Disorder) not very long ago. I know how you feel, embarrassed b/c you will be judge. We don't talk about it (outside the home) very much b/c of that. Sad how people form opinions on something they know very little about.
    Hang in there girl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kel ~ I don't 'know' you at all...I came across your blog from a friend who follows you and thought you were witty and funny and bring some much needed comic relief into my day! And, since you don't 'know' me...I'm going to tell you (and everyone else who reads your blog) a deep dark secret about myself. I've always wanted to tell this to someone, but never have because of fear I would be judged or shunned...I haven't even told my husband. Deep breath...here it goes:

    When my son was 5 weeks old, we took a five hour trip to Gulf Shores, Alabama to a wedding of some friends. They got married in a beautiful ceremony at a resort on the beach with a pier. At the time, I didn't think anything was that much wrong with me, but I realized afterwards that I was suffering from post-partum depression. During the reception, I took my son (who was being fussy) and went for a walk on the pier. I found myself looking over the railing and at that moment, seriously thought about dropping my baby into the water. I thought it through...would he float, would someone save him, would it have been considered an accident? As all those things ran through my mind...my husband walked up, coming to check on us to make sure everything was okay. I snapped out of it and walked back to the reception with him...but I couldn't stop thinking about how I almost killed my baby. It is a horrible thought and something I am completely ashamed to admit to anyone, for fear that they might think I'm crazy or even worse, try to take my son away from me. After that, I read up on post-partum and discussed it with my doctor and eventually got better. However, not a week goes by that I don't remember how I felt at that very moment and shutter at the thought. Please know that you are not the only one that has gone through something like that.

    As for therapy ~ congratulations...you are well on your way to becoming a counselor b/c being able to share this with someone has definitely lightened my load and helped me feel better about that terrible moment in time.

    Thank you for your honesty and for your compassion.

    ~Emilee

    ReplyDelete
  4. At the very beginning of this post I was thinking to myself, "that doesn't sound like drama, it sound like anxiety," and that is all too familiar to me. I've also struggle with anxiety and anxiety induced insomnia all my life. It's worse for me when I'm pregnant and post partum. Good for you for getting help and sharing your story. It takes courage.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sweety!! There IS a stigma and I hate it! Aren't you glad we weren't born in the 40's or something? They had no clue and stuck normal people in insane asylums and did shock treatment and labotomies! It's so scary!
    I'm using way too many !!! in this comment.
    Anyway, I'm happy you are getting therapy. I bet it would be helpful to a huge amount of people if you did a weekly or monthly post about things you learn...? I would love that.
    I have mental things too. I'm not embarrassed, although I don't know why. I have OCD. And I have depression.
    From one crazy person to another, we are awesome! It makes us more interesting. So there. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for sharing. I truly hope that therapy helps. I'm a HUGE advocate for therapy and believe it can benefit everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for your honesty!! I have quite a few similar symptoms, and it stinks when people tell you just Not Worry, or Get over it.
    But I get ya. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. How brave of you for sharing! I hope it was a freeing experience to just lay it all out there.
    I have small anxiety attacks that have so far been controllable...things like while I'm driving with my son and he has his window down, I worry that he might stick his arm out the window and someone will sideswipe us and his arm will be crushed. I mentally feel as if it's real and I have to stop myself from swerving to avoid the possible collision. Or, now that my son is driving his own car, when I hear sirens, I immediately think it is him and am preparing myself for a call....it's gotten worse every year. And don't even get me started about elevators!!
    I assume someday I may be on medication myself - and the more people who speak out about it, the less of a stigma it will be.
    Thank you for being brave!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think it's so admirable to want to become a counselor and help people with this! I, too, wouldn't wish a panic attack on anyone. It's not fun. And it's not just about being nervous or worried. There are real physical symptoms--heart racing, nausea, fainting. You feel like you are going to die. It's very scary and yes, VERY annoying when people say "Don't worry! Just relax!" It's also annoying when people think they can relate to you because they get nervous about things too. It's just so much bigger than being a worrywort.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have a mild case of this. I wake up in the middle of the night then can't get back to sleep because I worry. I leave the house and am fine all day but on the way home a panic because I'm sure I left the stove on (it never is. Why because before I left I checked it 5 times even though I never turned it on). Don't even get me started about the worry I put myself through about my boys. Being in their mid-twenties does not save them from mommy's sometimes spells. Trust me.

    I'm right there with you. Having a goal really helps me stay focused on it and not the worry. I'm rooting for you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Remember how you felt when you realized other people had the same thing happening? That's going to happen to someone when they read this- your story. I applaud you for sharing.

    And I had a pretty good laugh about the elevator story. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. personally i think you are wonderful and brave for this post...

    and though i havn't any idea of this myself.. my husband after he came home from a yr. in iraq.. he is/ was in the same boat.. he's been home almost 4 yrs now and it totally different now than when he first got home... but it's like i always tell him.. pay attention to how YOU feel... then take care of it.. he did, and you did.. and thats a wonderful thing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nothing about it should be embarrassing at all! I am SO dramatic when it comes to my kids, especially if there's a chance of injury/tears. (I think my husband is finally used to it.)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hugs! Good for you for sharing and I am so excited about your upcoming therapy. I hope you can the coping skills and understanding that you are seeking.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Kel, I think you are very brave to share this with everyone and I hope no one judges you. I'm sure this is what my mother had, undiagnosed because she would never go to the doctor for anything. I wish so badly that I could have gotten her to go on medication or go to therapy so that she could have experienced at least a little bit of "normal" in her life. Good luck with your therapy and your future as a counselor.

    ReplyDelete
  16. it was very courageous of you to share. I have mild anxiety and compared to my symptom, severe anxiety must be something out of the world. You will get better because you will it.

    JM

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have some sort of unspecified craziness myself. (And I'm not making light of your situation. I have never been diagnosed and Hubs will not allow me to medicate.)

    I think it's great that you are going to do the therapy thing. I went to 2 sessions one hundred years ago and quit for various reasons. I'm sure it will be helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I applaud you for sharing this part of you with us. I think that so many of us can use some kind of therapy. Living in this upside down world is not the easiest thing. We can all use some help. I know you'll keep those therapy sessions interesting with your wit :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I admire you for being so open about this! There are so many of us that hide behind it..for whatever reason! Thanks for sharing with us.

    ReplyDelete
  20. it was so good of you to write this, and i know it will help many.

    i have always been nervous about a lot of things in life, and live in dread about a ridiculous amount of things. i don't THINK i have panic attacks, except recent episodes of terrifying hyperventilating and constant shaking made me wonder if i was entering that territory. i think i get more and more nervous with age, and stress and/or new and/or difficult situations make it a hell of a lot worse. sometimes this stuff makes you feel a bit cuckoo, but the more you talk or write about it, the more you learn that others can relate to it.

    i hope your treatment goes well. i hope you keep us posted!

    ReplyDelete
  21. i am the same way, i am a worrier. a constant worrier. people who never seem to worry about anything have no idea what it is like to worry about missing the bus

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow, you have just written my life story. That's crazy. I was diagnosed at the age of 29 with a severe anxiety disorder. Before that nobody knew what was wrong with me. Those were hard years. Yes, it totally sucks, but life must go on and I try and deal with it the best I can every day. I'm not on meds anymore and just try and talk myself down. Don't get me wrong Zanax is my best friend. LOL! Thanks for sharing your humorous, yet serious story. I really enjoyed reading it. Thanks for taking time to stop at my place.

    Hugs
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  23. I haven't dealt with anxiety problems, but my family has a history of Bi-polar disease. My biological father and 2 sisters both have it, so I have dealt with similar issues in my family. My sisters' really benefit from therapy and struggle with the meds all the time.

    Good luck with your counseling.

    ReplyDelete
  24. First of all, thank you for sharing ~ I'm sure that was very hard to do. Kudo's to you for being so brave.

    I am right there with ya!! Seriously, there is not a single word in this post that I cannot relate to. I don't speak about it on my blog, but have often pondered the thought of "digging a little deeper" in my posts. I was diagnosed with an anxiety disorder about 15 or 20 years ago, along with bouts of depression. I have been on medication (off and on) ever since.
    Panic attacks??? Oh, I wish I could remember the number of times I have collapse out of fear/panic. The worst is in public for sure. Severe depression after Trinity was born, and I still struggle from time to time.
    I can also relate to be a "rock" (so to speak) at times when I really should be falling apart, but then it would hit me days later instead.
    I have been to councelling for the last 15 years, and for what it's worth, it does help. I haven't had a panic attack in years, and thankfully my daughter has never seen that side of me. I still worry, but NOTHING like I used to be. It's a long road, but well worth it in the end.
    The thing that helped me over the years, is when I realized how many people struggle with the same issues. Seriously, it helped just knowing I wasn't alone, I wasn't crazy, and I was brave enough to do something about it.

    My heart goes out to you, and my thoughts are with you through this journey you have started. It looks like you have a HUGE group of supporters in the blogging world. And we are all rooting for you!!!

    Drop me a personal email anytime. . . I never shared my ordeals with many people, and if had to do it all over again, that is one thing I would change.

    ((HUGS)) to you... You're soooo awsome. I've read your blog, followed for a while; and I think you are amazing! So gifted, talented, caring, funny, and a GREAT MOTHER!!!! You'll make it through this ~ just don't forget to laugh at yourself as often as you can.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi Kel,
    I just discovered you when you left a comment on my blog. I thought I'd pop over and check yours out. Wow! I think it is great that you are opening up about this. So many people suffer from different things and I'm sure feel they are all alone.
    I suffer from depression and anxiety also. I'm on a lower level but it still effects my life. A couple of years ago I started having panic attacks and other issues. I went to the doctor. I really thought I was about to have a stroke or heart failure. I couldn't and didn't really believe it when the dr said it was probably all due to anxiety. I couldn't believe anxiety could make me feel like that! I saw Howey Mandel on Regis and Kelly the other day talking about his OCD. He has a new book out "Don't touch me". I think it will help a lot of people.

    I think you are a courageous person to be talking about this and will help a lot of people in your life!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I feel better now that I'm off of my meds but somedays?

    Web hosting india

    ReplyDelete
  27. I needed Ativan from birth! Your childhood sounds a lot like mine!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I don't think you should be embarrassed. You have a medical condition that you are seeking help for. End of story. Good for you for getting the help you need. My daughter has been struggling with some anxiety issues and counseling has helped her tremendously. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I think it's good that you are talking about it.

    I also have been known to be overly dramatic.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Oh, thanks for sharing that. I have a 10 year old who freaks about everything. I try to be compassionate but come on...it's overkill, right? I'll try harder.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Brave post... really. Glad you are going to therapy - I think it's really helpful. It's like adding tools to the ol' brain toolbox in learning to cope with all the craziness this world throws at us!

    ReplyDelete
  32. YOUR HONESTY ABOUT WHAT YOU DEAL WITH ON A DAILY BASIS HUMBLES ME! YOU ARE ME (MAYBE ON STEROIDS, A BIT) AND I HAVE ALL TOO OFTEN HAD THAT COMMENT FROM WELL-MEANING FRIENDS AND FAMILY MEMBERS TELLING ME TO "JUST STOP WORRYING". I TELL THEM THAT'S LIKE TELLING SOMEONE TO TRY TO JUST STOP HAVING A HEART ATTACK, OR A TUMOR--IT DOESN'T WORK THAT WAY! I'M NOT SURE WHY IT'S SO MUCH EASIER FOR PEOPLE TO ACCEPT PHYSICAL CONDITIONS--MAYBE BECAUSE YOU CAN SOMETIMES SEE THEM? ANYWAY, GLAD TO HEAR FROM A FELLOW "STRESS BALL"!

    ReplyDelete

Ya wanna say something? Then just say it.. spit it out already.. sheesh.