Monday, January 11, 2010

When You Wish Upon a ...Blog.

Remember when you were a kid and it was time to blow out those birthday candles? Those little wax sticks had so much magic in them, didn't they? I remember thinking that those 8 little flames really held the powers of the universe in them. If I could just blow them all out in one breath, anything was possible. A puppy? Sure thing kid, just blow! You want a unicorn to give you a ride to school everyday? Allrighty, give me a big 'ol huff and you'll be arriving at elementary school in a blaze of rainbows and fairy dust.

And lots of other things held that magic as well. The turkey wishbone was a prize, waiting on the windowsill to "dry out" until you and your brother could stand toe to toe, in a fight for supernatural powers. If you got the bigger piece, it was gonna be a snow days for the next month. Your brother would just waste his wish on something stupid, like Transformers or a new set of Spiderman Underoos. This was a fight for the ages, you had to win!

Of course, the biggest wish granter was the elusive shooting star. If you could look up in the night sky and find one those, you were golden. Shooting stars held that mystical celestial power. You could trade places with a movie star, see the future, or make that super cute boy that sat next to you in math class fall madly in love with you. The possibilities were endless.

As I've grown up that magic has lost some of it power. I no longer even attempt to blow all the birthday candles out. That old turkey bone? Ewww.. that's unsanitary. It's hitting the trash with the rest of the leftovers. But falling stars? They still seem a little mystical, don't they? I saw one last night as I was letting our dogs outside. I have to admit, I hesitated a moment. Then, I closed my eyes tight, took a deep breath and.....nothing. I couldn't think of a single thing. For a few seconds, I considered a bigger house. But nah, that comes with a bigger mortgage payment. Win the lottery? Meh.. that'd kind of be like cheating everyone else who plays, wouldn't it? That wouldn't feel right. Lose some weight? get healthier? Yeah, but I can do that on my own, don't really need to go wasting all the powers of the universe on that kind of nonsense.

I realized I no longer need to wish for my "knight in shining armor". I've got one of those. Sure, he's not decked out in metal armor and riding a white steed... but he is wearing a nice hoodie I bought him and riding a mountain bike and I like that better anyway. (I don't have anywhere to house a horse, and the laundry is difficult enough without adding a head to toe metal ensemble.) I'm not really interested in changing places with anyone anymore. Yeah, it might be kind of fun to wake up in the morning and find myself inside the body of Angelina Jolie. A little morning romp with Brad wouldn't be so bad. But that girl's got a lot of kids and a whole lot of image to live up to. I prefer my one precious little girl and nobody's standards to live up to, but my own.

It dawned on me that I know longer need all those enchantments. I am pretty happy where I am. I opened my eyes. The star was gone, along with my childhood idea of "the world would be perfect if I could just have....". The world is pretty darn perfect the way it is.

Sorry, Brad Pitt. I could have rocked your world.

Photobucket

40 comments:

  1. What a great post. The lure of wishes coming true is so tempting, but like you I'm pretty satisfied with life as I have it.

    Stopping by from SITS

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't it great to be content? You sound like you are in a really good place. I always thought the wishbone was the most magical thing, I would get goosebumps over it - LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this post! It's a good place to be when you are content with everything in your life. Kuddos to you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome post, I too love it.
    Umm but we still save that ole wish bone and dh and I break it together. It's just kind of tradition. Oh and I still wish on those fluffy things floating in the sky. and Dandelion seeds or fluffs...oh i wish for tonnes of stuff. Maybe if I showed appreciation for what i do have ...i wouldn't need to wish so much huh.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cheers, not jeers. What a post. I still refuse to step on cracks, though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Brad Pitt is missing out :) Stuck with that frumpy Angie chick :)

    It's great to feel good about where you are right now. I'm trying to keep that perspective too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fabulous post! I remember feeling that magic, but it is so much better when we are content with what we have.

    ReplyDelete
  8. aww. that's so awesome. sometimes we really do have to open our eyes to what we have.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Kel! That was good to read. I really like the way you write.

    Secretia

    ReplyDelete
  10. We did all those things as kids, too! I was always the one who was looking the wrong way when there was a shooting star in the sky. Contentment is a good thing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. A few years ago, I finally settled in for a simple life myself. I used to want it all and then all of a sudden, I realized I didn't. Loved this post!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awww, so sweet! Transformer Underoos!! Gah!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really enjoyed reading that. Thanks!!! =)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Seems like finding the right place is a theme.

    ReplyDelete
  15. oh kel.. what an amazing post.. it made me tear up a little and grin widely.. thank you, this was great for me to read on a Monday!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is a GREAT post! I hope you keep finding this kind of contentment in your life!

    (LOVE that your knight wears a hoodie and rides a mountain bike -- that was great!) :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. what a beautiful post!!!!!!!! I loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Awesome! There is nothing wrong with being happy right where you are.

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a fabulous post! I am so glad you are happy where you are in this moment in time! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  20. thanks for stopping by my blog and I so agree with you while I still have fun wishing I think I am starting to break away from it a bit myself

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love love love it!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I usually hope that the shooting star just doesn't vaporize all existence. Is that too much to ask for? haha!

    ReplyDelete
  23. What an awesome post and a great attitude! I love this!!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh, you are in such a good place! Yay you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. That's awesome. I still wish on the candles though. But now I let my kids do the wish bone. I haven't seen a falling star in years - I usually wish for more money (don't judge me - lol)

    ReplyDelete
  26. kel- what a witty awesome post....you took me back to my birthday candles and wishes

    ReplyDelete
  27. Love this! So true! I still pull the wishbone with my oldest daughter, except I never wish and always try to make sure she gets the bigger piece. The magic is a great sense of childhood, but the realization that we are blessed with what we have is even better.

    ReplyDelete
  28. What a great post!!
    I loved it so much, I read it twice!!!
    You're amazing...

    I feel the same way about shooting stars, there's something about them. They've never lost their magic to me.
    I have a hard time thinking of an appropriate wish as well... mind you ~ BRAD does come to mind briefly EVERY SINGLE TIME!!! Le Sigh ;)

    ReplyDelete
  29. What a lovely positive post for the new year!
    Cool!

    B x

    ReplyDelete
  30. Poor Brad. Nice of you to let him down easy like that though:)

    ReplyDelete
  31. Great post! I too am happy where I am. I could use a few tweaks here and there, but otherwise, I'm OK.

    ReplyDelete
  32. I love love this post! Pretty please can I print it out, laminate it and sleep with it under my pillow for inspiration?! I get it. I totally know the content and happy feeling. Right now, I'm content, but not so much happy. I'll find it and get it back though. This post means a lot to me right now. I read it twice! As far as Brad Pitt gies, meh, you could do much better. I hear Clooney's much better at picking his dirty socks up off the floor.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Beautifully written.


    But damn girl...a maid??? That woulda worked huh?? Something? Send that star my way! I'll think of something:)

    ReplyDelete
  34. Hey Girl! I too have had these same thoughts.

    loved the Brad Pitt at the end. lol

    ReplyDelete
  35. I still wish. I wish for things I have no power over, and some of the things I do have power over, but am too lazy to work for. I don't think I'll ever quite wishing even though I am perfectly happy with my life. Believing in magic and fairy dust keeps an ordinary life fun.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Great post! Although, I have to disagree about Brad Pitt....that "billy goat" thing he's sporting on his chin, really kind of grosses me out!!!

    I'll be back for a visit ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  37. Oh I still wish every now and then even though I'm content where I am and know that to get what I want out of life, I have to actually go out and make it happen!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Great words. Thank you.

    Too bad we have to find this out the hard way,huh??? Sometimes it's almost too late.

    ReplyDelete

Ya wanna say something? Then just say it.. spit it out already.. sheesh.