Monday, February 23, 2009

A Tribute To A Friend..

I have been meaning to write this post for awhile now, but wasn't really ready to write it. I'm still a little emotional about the whole thing, but I'm ready to tell you all about a very special part of my life for many years. His name was Zack. He was our dog.

But to me, Zack was more than just a dog.He was my friend and a major part of our family. I know that some of you have pets and you understand. Some of you will find this post silly and overly emotional. To you, I say, bear with me and listen to what I have to say. You may just change your mind.

Zack was a white boxer. He was our first baby. He was neuorotic and goofy and air-headed. He was weird. He hated the Teletubbies with a passion. If he even heard their voices as we flicked through the channels, he would run to the tv and try to bite them. He was goofy. He once got a huge plastic ball stuck in his mouth and my neighbor had to use a hack saw to cut it in half to get it out. He was a tough looking dog, but such a baby. He would run around with my husband and hurt himself and keep playing. But if I walked outside, he would stop playing and limp over, giving me his paw as if saying "I got a boo-boo." He was so damn lovable. We lived on a farm for four years and the cows adopted him as an honorary calf. We would come home from work and he would be in the cow pen, just chilling with the ladies. They would lick his face and moo at him. Every single time I bent down to hand him his food bowl, he would lick my cheek as if saying thanks. When we moved to our first apartment, we found a local vet that would board him for us during the day. (Zack was not used to apartment living. We learned the hard when he broke a window the first day.) They started with putting him in a crate, but by the end of the day, they just let him run around the office. There was a litter of kittens there, and he just played with them all day. He was the most gentle giant. He used to hike with me in the morning and he once caught a baby bunny under his foot. He stopped, looked at me, and let it go. I swear.

And he was my buddy. When I was pregnant and on bed rest, he would lay on the couch with me, his head on my huge belly. That baby would kick and roll, and he would stay right there. I think he loved Roslyn even before she was born. When she came home, he slept under her crib. When she developed colic issues and cried all the time, he licked his paws raw. As she grew into a little girl, he tolerated her riding on his back and dressing him up as a princess. But most of all, he tolerated the fact that we had another baby now. And even though we lost our temper with him, and ignored him way too much once the baby came, he loved us. Unconditionally. Any attention we gave him was enough.

His health deteriorated quickly. He started wetting the house. We gave him shots for diabetes, and he never once snapped at us or ran. He just simply came and took his medicine. The doctor told us there was nothing much we could do, but care for him as best we could. He said Zack was not in pain, but it would be a pain to care for him. I bought doggie diapers. He even put up with those. He had control of his bowels, but would leak urine. We knew the end was coming. I was still shocked when it did.

My husband woke me up at 5am. With tears in his eyes, he said "I think you may want to go sit with zack and say goodbye." Zack had thrown up blood during the night. He was losing more blood through his bowels. We were calling frantically to the vet. I sat in the basement with Zack for hours, with his head on my legs, petting his soft head. He would look at me, and give me a little kiss and close his eyes. Finally, the vet got back to us and we ran him in. We knew there was nothing they could do. His organs had failed. He was gone even before the needle entered his vein.

I had never seen my husband really cry until that point. Craig stood and stoked his beloved best friend's side as he ceased to breathe, murmuring, "He was such a good boy." I was inconsolable. The doctor left us alone. We hugged and cried, mourning the loss of the best dog we had ever known.

And even now, a year and half later, we still talk about Zack, as if he is still around. And though we have two new dogs, it will never be the same. I will never let myself love a dog as much as I loved Zack. I'm guarded now. And I know that Craig is too. I'm so thankful for the years that we did have with him. But eleven years went by too fast and I still miss him. I think I always will.

So, to those of you who think its silly to get attached to an animal like this..maybe you're right. It was silly to love a dog like a person. But he loved us no matter what we did, protected us and made us laugh. The least we could do was love him back.

54 comments:

  1. Okay, I'm sorry, I had to skim this post because it got me all teary eyed and if I read it word for word I'd be in a heap of tears right now.

    I'm sorry for the loss of your dog. I dread the days one of our dogs passes. They are like your Zach was, there for my every need and on point with my every emotion. I love my furbabies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing Zack with us....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww so sorry about the loss of your Zack.
    xo
    thinking of you

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, I'm crying.

    I so understand where you're coming from. Many people don't.

    Our animals are very much a part of our family, and are unconditionally loving, non-judgmental, and adoring.

    Thank you for sharing Zack with us, Kel.

    ReplyDelete
  5. He's such a beautiful dog! I'm so sorry for your loss!

    ReplyDelete
  6. under no way shape or form do i find it silly to get attached to a pet....
    i still cry when i think about my jeep....(that is probably silly!)
    ....
    but when a person, animal, or car is there for you through so much, how can you not get attached?!?!
    i'm with you all the way on this one!
    thanks for sharing zach with us all!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for sharing a part of your heart. Sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh little kel... i am so sorry. this post made me so sad for you, as i do know how much those pesky critters work their way into our hearts. even in dogs, that kind of loyalty doesn't come around every day. thanks for sharing some of your memories of zack with us.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My family had a dog when I was younger. We loved her and even though we had other dogs she was our favorite. She died when I was in College and my sister and I slept on the floor next to her the last couple of nights she was alive. I'm with you, I haven't let myself let another animal like that since.

    ReplyDelete
  10. awwhhh, I'm so sorry ~ just reading this brough tears to my eyes. Zach reminds me of our American Bulldog, Dixie. She looks so tough, but is the biggest baby! She will always be our 'first' since we got her 2 months after we got married. I am sorry for your loss. I know he was special!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That story made me cry. I knew it would. I too love my animals dearly and they are a part of my family. I know they don't get as much love and attention now that the G-man is around, but they are loved. It sounds like Zach was a great dog!

    ReplyDelete
  12. shoot lady. I'm crying my face off over here.

    I love the ball stuck on the face/saw story. As you know, we had the same thing happen with our Tia.

    Dogs (pets) are really part of the family. I get it. I'm sorry you had to say goodbye.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am literally wiping tears from my eyes. This was so touching, and anyone who has had a good pet knows what you are talking about and how hard it is to let them go. I remember when my childhood dog died, it was so awful and sad. Our whole family was just so broken up about it. It took me years to be able to get another animal and I do think I never let myself get as close. This was a lovely tribute. It really was. It touched me.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Awwww...What a beautiful dog! I'm so sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's not silly that you got that attached. I think the whole post is so sweet but I'm sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh Kelly, now you'll got me crying.

    We had a fawn boxer growing up named Boots. She had white feet!She's been gone 10 years & we still miss her.

    Thanks for sharing Zack's story.

    ReplyDelete
  17. He sounds like he was a great dog. I'm so sorry :(

    ReplyDelete
  18. Such a pretty dog. I almost didn't want to start reading because I knew I would cry at the end. Going to give my Maggie some lovin' now.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Aww, man (er, I mean Kel :)....it's exactly the type of love I have for my first 'kid'.

    My husband and I tear thinking about that time...hopefully long down the road. And because of it we swore he would be our only dog. Too hard to think about, which was unexpected!

    Thanks for sharing your story. Not silly at all.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh Kel. We lost our dog last weekend, day after Valentines. Smooshie went through the same exact thing as Zack. She was 13, had several ailments (including diabetes), and eventually stopped eating for 16 days. We couldn't believe she survived that long. Then one night, she began whining and barking as she lost blood through her bowels. And my parents knew it was time to take her in. I can't believe I'm reading Zack's story with it mirroring our own. I feel your loss, and am still mourning ours. Well, she arrived back home a few days ago in a simple cedar box. My parents will always have her around because she's our baby. Thanks for sharing. What a sweetheart.

    ReplyDelete
  21. As a devoted SITSta, I am of course committed to showing comment love to those that follow me. Today, I am visiting your blog to say thanks for being a follower! Copy and paste this comment and head over to Hot Chocolate Caramel Mocha to enter my giveaway.

    -Wenda

    BTW- I really do understand about Zack, because we lost one of our dogs awhile back and it hurt like hell.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh Kel, I am so sorry for your loss of Zack. I completely understand your pain. I honestly don't even know how I will handle when it is time for my Buddy to go.

    He sounds like he was an absolute sweetie pie and such a character. Thanks for sharing him with us.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Kel I'm sure you have read my post about Anni. The Yorkie I had for 11 years also. I feel your pain! I went out at 10pm Sunday night looking for the neighbors dog who ran off & when I got back the husband asked why I just left like that after a dog. Well b/c I've been there & I don't wish death of an animal on my worst enemy. It's hard.
    And I can also feel you on the 'letting your guard down' to love another animal. I don't think I could ever get that attached to another dog again. It is so painful when they leave us.

    Thanks for sharing Zack.

    ReplyDelete
  24. aw Kel..the tears for your loss...I'm sorry, I know time has passed, but the love you poured into that tribute--what a lucky dog that happened into your life.
    My mini-weiner dog Bo has been with me going on 11 years and I start to worry about his time left with us, I've had him since he was 8 weeks old and able to sit in my hand. I'll be utterly inconsolable when it's his time to go.
    Thanks for sharing this love you had with Zack :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. So sorry about the loss of one of your pack. I don't know how my wife will be able to handle it when our dog passes since she never had a dog before.

    Thank you for sharing a wonderful tribute to your dog Zack.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I am so sorry about your dog he looks like he was super cute. Your post made me cry. I always get emotional about pets or animals dying and i think thats one of the reasons i dont want to get a dog. :(

    ReplyDelete
  27. I'll stand up and say I'm not a pet person. And I know why, but have never admitted it.

    I've had things happen in life that have caused me to put up this wall that very few people have ever managed to get through.

    I know, wholeheartedly, that an animal would have the ability to do that, and it terrifies me.

    I'm afraid of the attachment...reading this post, though, makes me think that the wonderful times you had were worth it...thank you for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Oh Kel...I'm so sorry about Zack...you know I love my pets just like you do....and I lost my precious Alex (my cat) last year after 13 years together...I'm now sobbing after reading your post.

    Our Max is so gentle just like your Zack. Not long ago, we had some new chicks inside under a heat lamp. One morning when we got up, the chicks had gotten out and were just walking around and Max was licking them....any other dog would have eaten them all! He also loves the guinea pigs!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Oh..man that was sad..he looked like a sweet dog..so cute..I bet he was funny to watch.

    ReplyDelete
  30. i love boxers and am so sorry for your pain. i feel you so much right now and i am crying again. last night i got home from work and hubby was acting very very weird.. then i called for cleo (my black cat) and hubby just looked at me and hugged me. after 11 years it was her time to go... i will be thinking of you since you wrote this post. maybe in the next few days i can do one for cleo... maybe even tomarrow... or maybe its too soon. who knows

    ReplyDelete
  31. I am so sorry about Zak, I have two dogs who are more human than they are dogs so I know how you feel.

    ReplyDelete
  32. The love for a pet and from a pet is special and remembered always. Sorry for your loss. He was a beautiful dog.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Sorry about Zack. I never had a dog. I always had cats. But one cat I had was my favorite, and when he died I cried for months over it.

    ReplyDelete
  34. What a special dog.
    Zack looks like he was a GREAT dog and member of the family!

    ReplyDelete
  35. I'm so sorry you lost Zack. My first puppy made it 16 years and we were all heartbroken when she died. I completely understand the never loving another dog the same.

    ReplyDelete
  36. I do not find it silly at all, it is touching. Reminds me of my niece's current bookmark: "I hope to be as good a person as my dog already thinks I am."

    ReplyDelete
  37. Such a sad story at the end. He sounds like one of the really great dogs.

    ReplyDelete
  38. It is never silly to love. I am sorry to hear of the loss of your sweet Zack.

    ReplyDelete
  39. i wish i had been smart like yaya and just skimmed too. darn you. now my nose is gonna be all stuffy and if i get a headache i'm blaming it all on you.

    i'm sorry for your loss. i've lost several pets that i loved too much too so i know how you feel.

    now no more sad stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  40. Oh, Kel.... that is so sad. I'm sorry you lost your friend and sweet, wonderful doggy. He sounds like an amazing dog and companion and you will always have his memories. We had a dog like that growing up and even though we've had many dogs since, I've never loved any of them like I loved that little pekinese.

    ReplyDelete
  41. How sad! I am soo sorry! But, what a sweet tribute!

    Thank you for sharing your friend with us!

    ReplyDelete
  42. I am sorry, so very sorry. You are not wrong to love a dog as much as a human. I feel your pain. Ive lost a few cats in my lifetime and I still miss them, still think of them. He sounded like an amazing, wonderful and gentle dog who made this world a better place.

    ReplyDelete
  43. Sorry about Zack. I had to start skimming when my eyes started to fill up....such a sucker. I remember when I had to say bye to my dog not bcuz she died but bcuz my parents were getting divorced, I was going of to college, and poor Missy had nowhere to go. My dad gave her away to some family. I can't look at a beagle for more then 20 seconds without wanting to cry. RIP Zack!....and Missy as I assume she is dead now.

    ReplyDelete
  44. Pets are family. This is by no means silly. Sorry he's no longer with you physically, but great to know he's still with you in spirit.

    He was a gorgeous dog! Thanks for sharing him with us.

    ReplyDelete
  45. i totally understand and I am very sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete
  46. Kel, what a beautiful and moving tribute to Zack:) I had a boxer many years ago who I loved the same way. She helped me through my first pregnancy and so much more:) Boxers are just so incredibly devoted and lovable. I am a misty eyed mess reading your post, but I'm grateful you shared it with us:) It made me think of Teddy and I haven't done that in a while.

    The photos are fantastic! What a gorgeous guy!

    ReplyDelete
  47. ah. we have always had boxers, even bred them for a little bit. We had to put down our Rocky 2 years ago and it was HARD. we still miss him. my husband is ready for a new puppy......and fathers day is coming up......

    ReplyDelete
  48. Why do you have to make me cry right now?Everyone at work is probably thinking I'm crazy.

    I totally get your feelings,but please don't be guarded with your new dogs.They might not be Zack,but I'm sure they will be just as good in their own ways.

    ReplyDelete
  49. Where are you?? I miss reading??

    ReplyDelete
  50. I was a hormonal mess before I read this and now I'm a babbling fool.
    My heart is broken for you all. We lost a pet also, several years ago. There's nothing wrong with loving them like their human Kel. They sometimes love better than humans do.

    {{HUGS}}

    ReplyDelete
  51. this is gonna make me cry. i lost our dog around the same time as you...it was not an easy time, and i feel your pain. gotta go before i cry now.

    ReplyDelete
  52. Aww, so sad. Sorry you miss your little buddy! He sounds like such a sweetie.

    ReplyDelete
  53. Oh Kel, I'm not sure if you'll read this comment--it's a a couple days late and you've gotten so many--but I wanted to say that was a great tribute. I think it's great that you guys still talk about him because he was a member of your family and I actually feel bad for people who don't believe that.

    ReplyDelete
  54. Been there, done that!!!! More then once!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Ya wanna say something? Then just say it.. spit it out already.. sheesh.