Sunday, February 22, 2009

#18 American Wife by Curtis Sittenfeld



I recommended this book to our book group, Girls with Books, because I had heard so much hype about it. It was touted as a "fictional account of Laura Bush's life". Curtis Sittenfeld had taken certain real aspects of the former first lady's life and created a novel around them, including a horrific accident that occured in her teen years and her marriage to a very controversial president. The rest is said to be pure fiction. But that's kind of hard to swallow. As I read the book, it felt like a autobiography. I had to keep reminding myself that this is not Laura Bush narrating the story, but the imagined character of Alice Blackwell. I could feel myself, at times, commiserating with the real Laura Bush and at other times, hating her. But the book is not about Laura Bush! Such a hard concept to wrap my head around and to be honest, I am still struggling with that. Sittenfeld wrote a very controversial book, in any case.

When I turned the last page, I thought.. "I hate this book." And then a few minutes later, I felt I loved it. I struggled with my personal opinions of the Bush presidency affecting my opinion. Once I was able to put my political views aside and look at the book for what it was, fiction, I decided that I really enjoyed it. When you allow yourself to remember that is not about the real Bush family, and it is not about politics, but about a fictional woman's life and choices,it becomes a great book. Alice Blackwell felt very real, and her story was interesting to me. I did not understand or agree with many of her actions, or better yet, her refusal to act, but she was intriguing.

If you are able to set aside your political views and see the book as a work of fiction, I think you will enjoy it. Curtis Sittenfeld is a an amazing author. If you have not read her previous books, Prep and The Man of My Dreams, you are missing out. They are not as controversial, but just as well written.

11 comments:

  1. great review Kel. Um. I did not read it. I suck

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like an interesting book. I think that it can get tricky to put a fictional character in a real historical situation. The details become blurred.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like your review. And, like Cammie, said, I suck because I didn't get around in reading it in time for the book discussion. I'm definitely in for Snow Flower anf the Fan or whatever it was called.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, I probably wouldn't be a fan since there is nothing I hate more than politics....

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a great review and sounds like it would be a struggle for me too. But you make me feel like it might be worth it afterall.

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh i really enjoyed Prep! that was solid.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well I'll have no problem putting aside my political views if I read it. I have very little! But it does sound like and interesting book!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I liked your review. You offered some very interesting feedback.
    The problem of passing off fact as fiction seems to haunt Sittenfeld. Some people question how much fiction was in the story of Prep, for instance. Classmates of hers from that time insist the story contains nothing more than a retelling of events that actually occurred while she was at school. Your review of American Wife sounds like again there are questions of whether this is fact or fiction. Sounds like she's a good writer. But it sounds like this fact-or-fiction question is too distracting to the reader.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kel, that was a fantastic review! I have been trying to get this book from my library for a few weeks! I'm the next on the list so I will try to read it and get back over to the book blog!

    ReplyDelete
  10. i agree. i am only on page 150, but have been struggling with the fictional/non-fictional aspects of the book. so far, so good, though.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Interesting review. I don't know that I could read this book with an open mind. It was praised by critics with BDS (Bush Derangement Syndrome), and the timing of its release was more than a little suspicious. Maybe I'll read Prep. And if Curtis Sittenfeld decides to stop writing, she could always star in The Margaret Hamilton Story.

    ReplyDelete

Ya wanna say something? Then just say it.. spit it out already.. sheesh.