Monday, January 4, 2010

The Obligatory New Year's Post...

It has to be done. The New Year's Resolution Post. I tried to ignore the pull of the Internet, tempting me to reveal all my first of the year goals to strangers across the globe.. but I failed. (plus, I haven't blogged in ages, and it's an easy topic.)

I have to say, I hate New Years Resolutions. I have nothing against setting goals.. but could you pick a worse time? Could there be a more horrendous moment to try and start dieting than the dead of winter? It's freakin' freezing out, I want macaroni and cheese! And yep, I'm gonna start a marathon training program at 5am on a 8 degree morning, instead of staying under the mounds of blankets and sleeping for another two hours? I think not, Baby New Year. I think not.

I do however have some plans for this year.. and most of them can be done within the confines of my warm and comfy home.. pj's and all. It's all about convenience.

My biggest goal for the year is to be happy. Can I be more vague? But I mean it as simply as it sounds. I want to be happy. I want to let go of the past, stop worrying so much about the future, and just be happy right now. I tend to dwell on the past... wondering "what if?". But the past is done, and the future is yet to be, so I might as well live in the moment.

One of the things that make me happy is being creative. I've lost that side of myself lately. It's time to find my "inner Martha" again. I love to make jewelery, scrapbook, sew, cook...etc. But I haven't made time for it. I'm itching to get crafty again. And as you can tell, I haven't exactly been a dedicated blogger lately either. I used to spend hours writing stories or blogging, and that part of me lies dormant at the moment. I plan on easing that big bear out of hibernation in the coming months.

I'm trying to find pleasure in the simple things again. I'm not keeping up with the Jones's and to be honest, I find them quite uptight and boring anyway. I want my daughter to learn to live within her means, and be content with what she has. I want us to enjoy more family nights at home, playing games and watching movies. I would like to cut our "entertainment budget" and spend more time doing more meaningful things. We can wait until movies come out on video. We can make dinner together instead of eating out all the time. We can go for a walk outside instead of through the mall with coffees and full shopping bags in hand. We have enough stuff. I'm sick of stuff. I want peace of mind.

And sure, I've got the whole "healthier eating" thing on my list of goals... but I am thinking more about "natural" products than "fat free". I've been looking at our cabinets lately and I'm shocked at how much junk we eat. I'd like to move to more organic cooking and snacking. I think I was in denial about how many preservatives and artificial foods we eat. I am guilty of Splenda overload in my coffee and I have a big time issue with Coke Zero Vanilla. It's a problem. I've been having some health issues lately, and I can't help but wonder if it's all this junk in our food causing it.

I guess if I had to label 2010 (pronounced twenty ten), I'd call it "2010 - The Year of Being Content". I want to stop worrying about what people think.. and just be happy and grateful. I will dress for me, not concerned with other's opinions. (yes, that is a Super Mario Bros shirt I am wearing... do you have an issue with that?). I will finally start renovations and begin decorating this house the way we want it. Our house is small, and I hate it. But it's time I let go of the fact that everyone else has a bigger house, and just be happy that we have a roof over our heads. I will decorate it in the quirky style that my husband and I both love. I will find joy in good deals at yard sales and flea markets again. I will not feel the need to buy brand names because of the label, but I will buy things because I love them. I will declutter and release unwanted items from this house. I HATE clutter. And we will continue to give to charity, because there are people out there who would love to have the "burden" of clutter.

So, in closing, I've got big plans for 2010. But I won't call them resolutions, because I won't put that pressure on myself. This year I will be... well, just plain happy.

ps. oh yeah, and I will stop using "quotation marks" so much...

20 comments:

  1. Great post Kel! I actually loved a lot of your quotes & might have to use them.
    "I'm not keeping up with the Jones's and to be honest, I find them quite uptight and boring anyway".
    I think your 2010 "wants" are wonderful. Not setting yourself up for failure like most to start Diet #1 of the year on Jan. 1st.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy New Year, I mean Content New Year!!! All your goals sound totally doable and joyful too. Definantly give up the diet coke - I think you will feel better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The year of being content- I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Being more creative and crafty is one of my resolutions too!!! I can't wait to see what you create!
    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i''ve missed your humous honest posts. Welcome back. I totally agree with much of what you say. I do not do resolutions however being happy is a goal i want to work on as well.
    Super post.
    Happy New Year

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy New Year! Good luck on your goals, they sound completely attainable and very fufilling.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We always (well, almost always wait until movies come out on DVD- I just make a list so i don't forget about them. :) And eating in saves us BIG bucks. We cut down on that since we got the house!! The Wii was a bit pricey bu8t has already in the past week provided us with TONS of family laughter and movement- despite the cold, snowy weather outdoors. Good Lcuk and HAPPY new year!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. great non resolutions. I just want to be happy and content with where I am at the moment

    ReplyDelete
  9. But I love quotation marks!

    'Content'. That's a great word to live by.

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't do resolutions as much as goals and usually I set goals that are pretty doable. I have been working on my obligitory New Years post for a few days, hopefully I will have my thoughts organized enough soon to actually post it.

    I think being happy and content is the most worthwhile resolution to have. When you are happy the other stuff just seems to fall into place.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great resolution. Mental health and fitness is just as important as physical. And since you're giving up the mall, shopping bags and coffees? Can I have em?? LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I hope 2010 IS your year of contentment! And I agree with you about the Joneses! (That was great!) :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. These sounds like perfect goals that many of us need to follow!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This whole post? Is perfect. Kel, I think you summed up perfectly what so many people (myself included) are feeling lately. Happy New Year to you & yours.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great post... I loved it.
    May you have the best year ever, and find that inner Martha as well.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love quotations!!! use them all the time. they are awesome. totally "2010"

    good luck with happy.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Gosh, I love your posts. So funny. Sounds like you've got some great positive goals set for yourself. I really need to get some of my own. LOL! Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Resolving to be content and get back to what makes you happy is brilliant. And I can't agree more about hating "stuff" and loving to "declutter". I have a pile of bags of junk in my basement waiting to be donated on Wednesday. Wednesday can't get her fast enough. And we've decided as a family not to use our credit cards for the month of January - so we shouldn't be accumulating any more Junk for awhile. (Secretly, I'm hoping to extend the no credit card use into February. Shhh! Don't tell my family... yet!)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Perfectly written. Sounds like we have similar aspirations for 2010. I'm so over stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I decided this year to be a lot nicer to myself.

    Secretia

    ReplyDelete

Ya wanna say something? Then just say it.. spit it out already.. sheesh.