Thursday, August 27, 2009

Things My Dad Taught Me..

So, I've been thinking a lot lately about life lessons. You know what I mean, those big things that people in my life have taught me. Where did I get my sense of humor from? My fear of spiders? My overwhelming anxiety? My kindness to animals? My naive sense that everyone is a good person deep down? Where did all that come from? And most of all, what am I handing down to my daughter?

My dad has always been a pretty influential person in my life. But I don't think he knows that. We have a silly relationship. We joke. We tease each other. But we don't talk serious all that often. But the few heart to hearts we have had have made a big impact on me. And to be perfectly honest, the goofy moments have made me who I am too.

So, the life lessons dad has passed on to me are a big 'ol mix of serious and silly, just like dad himself.

LIFE LESSONS FROM DAD
1. Farts are funny. No matter the time of day or night.

2. Don't disrespect your mother. Ever. You can tease her kindheartedly, but don't you dare cross that line from funny to vicious.

3. There is no worse feeling in the world than disappointing your parents. There is no punishment or grounding that hurts as bad as the sentence, " I am really disappointed in you."

4. Don't judge people by appearances. Dad is not always the most "put together" person when it comes to appearance. He is a casual man... to the extreme. I think I've seen him in a suit once, at my wedding. He's dealt with some prejudice as far as people assuming he's some dumb hillbilly, but the truth of the matter is that he's much smarter than most people I've encountered.

5. If you can't buy it, build it. If you look around hard enough, you can find the parts to build just about anything. He once fixed my mom's car with parts from a shopping cart and a welding machine.

6. You may be dirt poor at some point in your life, but your kids don't need to know it. We went through a few years where my dad was unemployed, but he provided any way he could. He hunted. He fished. He crabbed. He fixed cars. He plowed snow. I never knew how bad it was until I was older. I never noticed that mom and dad didn't sit down to eat dinner with us, that they were waiting until we were done and they would eat the scraps. Dad would entertain us with funny stories and keep us occupied so we never even thought about the fact that they weren't eating. We had fun the old fashioned way.. playing outside, going sledding, drawing, playing games and getting on mom's nerves.

7. If someone is really mad at you, make them laugh. Seriously, don't give up until you make them giggle, at least a little. Perseverance pays off. When I was teen and would get into my mopey moods he would sit across from me at the table and make faces at me until I finally cracked. It's hard to hate someone when they are picking their nose and pretending to wipe it on your brother.

8. You're gonna go through some crazy shit in your life. You can't keep all those memories to yourself forever. My dad is a Vietnam vet. As a kid, I always knew there were certain things we didn't ask Dad about it. He didn't talk about it. But one day, it just all poured out. We were watching tv and he just started talking. And he talked for hours. I think it was a release for him. His stories about his war experiences taught me a lot about him.

9. Don't let yourself get lazy. Find a hobby. Dad has tons. He used to be a big car buff, but since his heart surgery he has found other things to do. He rebuilds clocks, he builds fishing rods, he buys and fixes boat motors for resale. He hunts. He fishes. He is always busy. He always has something going.

10. Don't take life for granted. Dad had a huge scare a few years ago. He had an aortic dissection. He had major open heart surgery, a new procedure that he was basically a guinea pig for. But it saved his life. I can tell that he looks at life differently now. Do what you want now, but do it safely and make sure your family knows you love them. You might not be there tomorrow to tell them.

And I guess the biggest lesson that he ever taught me is that people in your life are not perfect. But you love them anyway, embarrassing antics and all.

22 comments:

  1. OMG! No kidding - you dad sounds SO much like my dad! I don't know what I would do without him here! Thanks for reminding me that I need to appreciate him more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. all very wise lessons. particularly the one about farts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very good lessons to have learned. Thanks for sharing those with us!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely tribute.

    Farts are never not funny. Same goes for boogers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. aww you are so lucky. I am a daddy's girl too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great post! Isn't it a shame that we don't truly know how amazing our parents are until we are older. Thanks for the blog today... makes me wanna call my dad & tell him how wonderful he was when we were growing up & how much I have learned from him!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's kind of amazing when you think about the things that happened when you were younger and all of a sudden you're older and you realize that they were waiting for you to finish eating.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a wonderful dad you have. Does he read your blog? If not, you should send him a copy of this post.

    ReplyDelete
  9. what a great dad. i am very impressed with your parents to persevere when money got tight.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a lovely tribute to your dad! I love it, he sounds like a wonderful person! He and my FIL could get together and exchange ways to build things from nothing. My FIL once fixed a car by installing a new ignition. It was a doorbell. I know. No, actually, I don't. : )

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great post Kel, as I've missed being around you guys and going hunting and fishing with my dad and your dad (for those going "huh?" he's my uncle). #1 has special meaning for me and made me laugh like crazy (just let me say it involved me, your brother, your mom and your dad when I was spending the night at the house. I'm LMAO remembering it).

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your Dad sounds like a really wonderful guy. How lucky you are to be his daughter. I hope you will make sure he sees this loving tribute.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your Dad sounds like a smart, fun and entertaining man. Love all your memories. Terrific post about all those life lessons. I'm impressed that he is so resourceful with fixing things with miscellaneous parts. That's a great talent. A wonderful tribute to your Dad.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Those are great lessons!! And I never realized until junior high that we were lower mid class. I had such fun with my family and loved that our BIG night out was Ponderosa buffet. And that was for special occasions. I never knew and am happy with the way I was raised!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow. Your Dad sounds like an amazing soul. Thank you for sharing the lessons he taught you with all of us.

    ReplyDelete
  16. As I read through your list, it struck me that your dad merely just being there for you was seriously influential on your life ... even if he didn't have many heart-to-hearts, it the presence that matters. Lovely thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your dad sounds awesome.

    My favorite story was the one where you all ate while your parents didnt. SPEAKS VOLUMES of their character.

    You are blessed.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your dad is a very intelligent man. And that thing about farts only works for boys lol. Anyway, he remind me much of my own dad, who happens to be my best friend in the entire world. I think the biggest lesson he ever taught me is that no matter what happens I can always come home to daddy and he will remind me that he already gave me all the tools to fix anything.

    I love my old man!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks for making me think of my own dad.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Having just lost my dad, I can tell you that this post is an amazing tribute. Be sure to show it to him ... he'll be so happy. And it is all the little silly stuff that make a relationship like this so wonderful and amazing. And this is a great gift to your daughter too. I hope you have your dad for years and years to come but just know that this type of post will be so so precious when you lose him. I just loved it ... thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Kel,
    Your Dad sounds like such a special man! Thank you so much for sharing that with us:) That meant a lot just to read it. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

Ya wanna say something? Then just say it.. spit it out already.. sheesh.