Sunday, May 17, 2009

#29 The Geurnsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society


Oh, how I adored this book! The only thing that disappointed me was the fact that it ended! I wanted it to keep going! I did not want it to end!

The story is told in a series of letter and telegrams, which is always magical to me. I find it amazing that an author (or authors in this case..)can create a story that way. I love stories told in this matter. It feels as if you have come across a chest full of old letters in your granny's attic. Almost as if you are spying on someone else's life.

Juliet is a young woman, living in post WWII London. She is single, and quite sure that she will never find true love, especially in her war torn city. She makes her living writing a column for a daily paper, called "Izzy Bickerstaff Goes to War". But when the war ends, she finds herself struggling for new story ideas. As if by fate, she receives a letter for a complete stranger, asking for help locating a book. The stranger is a pig farmer named Dawsey, living on the island of Geurnsey. Geurnsey was occupied by the Germans during the war and the residents are just coming out from under their thumb. But they've got plenty of stories to tell. Juliet and Dawsey begin a regular correspondence and soon other islanders are sending letters as well. A strong friendship is formed and soon Juliet finds herself visiting the island. She has come to collect the stories, both happy and truly heartbreaking, for a book. But she manages to find much more than just inspiration for a story. She finds real people with real hearts and real frienships, along with a love of books.

Some of the stories she hears are absolutely horrific. Others are heartwarming and funny. But all of them are completely absorbing and fascinating.

I fell in love with each other characters, all who are as different from one another as possible. The Geurnsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society is truly amazing. I cannot recommend it enough!!

13 comments:

  1. I have not read this yet, but a friend and I were just discussing it - I'm going to direct her to your review! I've been intending to for a while and don't exactly know why I haven't gotten around to it...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kel, thanks for the review. Based on your description, this sounds like a book for me. I love the "letter, telegram" format. Cool way to tell a story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read this for my book club. I really enjoyed it, but I thought Dawsey needed to step up his game a bit more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have not heard of this book, but I love getting recommendations for really good ones! I will definitly check this one out!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Will have to check this out...haven't heard of it but the theme of the letters and telegrams sounds very intriguing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This book came up in my book club a couple of months ago, but we chose something else. I've been wanting to read it every since. It's also on the list of potential titles to be the Reading Across RI book for 2010. I also love books written in letter or journal form. Now I'm even more excited to get to it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't read this book yet. I am putting it on my "to read" list!!

    I hope that you are feeling better!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. this sounds great... i'll look for it this wkend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have this book on hold at the library, but haven't gotten it yet. I've heard tons of great stuff about it and am very excited to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. consider it added to my list... thanks for the review

    ReplyDelete
  11. I too loved this book! Right now I'm reading a book by Diane Chamberlain. She is my new favorite author since reading this book. It's called "The Secret Life of Cee Cee Wilkes." And by total coincidence, my mom just read her book called "The Courage Tree" and absolutely loved it. So we are both now going to go get all of her books. Ya gotta try one!

    ReplyDelete

Ya wanna say something? Then just say it.. spit it out already.. sheesh.