Sunday, March 15, 2009

#20 The Sister by Poppy Adams



Let me start out by saying, that I am the type of person who cannot NOT finish a book. If I begin a book, I have to finish. It's a problem. And this was one of those books that I really wanted to just give up on. I tried several times. And my OCD brought me back. I kept thinking, that maybe it will get better. I was afraid I would miss some amazing plot twist if I gave up on it. So, I suffered through it, hoping to be rewarded for my dedication. I wasn't.

The plot summaries I read sounded so tempting, two sisters reunited after almost 50 years apart. The setting was ideal, a crumbling mansion in Dorset, England. But that's where the attraction ended for me. I just could not get into this story. The characters were boring. The story itself was boring. Even the "shocking" twist towards the end was foreseeable from the middle of the book. And the worst part of all was the "bug talk". The sister's came from a long line of lepidoptrists, moth and butterfly scientists. There was an amazing amount of moth descriptions. I am not talking one or two paragraphs. I am talking about pages and pages of descriptions of moths, their mating patterns, their life spans... etc. Gah... so unbelievably boring. (maybe not to a lepidoptrists.. but definitely to me.).

I hate to give a negative review and I rarely do. Even if I don't particularly like a book, I can usually find a few positive aspects of a story. Sadly, not this time. Poppy Adams seems like a good writer, but maybe the story subject did absolutely nothing for me.

3 comments:

  1. snooze. i can only take so much moth and butterfly talk. ugh. next...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read this not too long ago (January). Still haven't written a review about it because I wasn't sure I 100% understood what happened. Since I doubt anyone will read it based on your review, did you think the sister who stayed behind really killed the mother? Did she push her off the roof when they were kids? What the hell happened with the baby? Was there a baby? Who had it? I was totally confused by the end -- I thought maybe it was me and I read it too fast or something. And I agree with you about the moths.

    ReplyDelete
  3. you're right jenners. from that review i have no interest in even thinking about reading this book! and from your comment i'm really glad i didn't too. :)

    ReplyDelete

Ya wanna say something? Then just say it.. spit it out already.. sheesh.