Wednesday, April 1, 2009

#23 The Condition by Jennifer Haigh

I'M SORRY FOR THE SHORT BOOK REVIEWS THIS WEEK, BUT I AM A LITTLE SWAMPED WITH STUFF TO DO RIGHT NOW... HOPE YOU UNDERSTAND.


Jennifer Haigh is fantastic at telling a "real" story. Her characters are so well developed and true to life that it's hard to believe that they really don't exist out there somewhere. Her plots are intriguing but also believable. The Condition is a shining example of her ability to tell the story of a family and all of it's idiosyncrasies.

The Condition is about a dysfunctional family living in Massachusetts. The father is a scientist, who barely has time for his kids until late in life. And of course, by then, they want nothing to do with him. The mother is a control freak and a nag. The kids all have their own issues. One son is hiding a secret from his parents. The other is dealing with issues with his own wife and children. The daughter, Gwen, suffers from Turner Syndrome, which has left her the height of a 12 year old for the remainder of her life. I found their struggles to be very intriguing. The story is tied up nicely at the end, but not too nicely. (which I can't stand..) All in all , a great book.

Again, I know this review sucks, but I am so backed up right now, it's ridiculous.

So, what are you reading??

13 comments:

  1. Ah, all my book reviews are short, I'm so afraid of spilling too much information! :)

    I saw this book somewhere and wondered if it was any good. Thanks for letting me know that you thought it was good. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i actually like a short and to the point review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. the shorter the better! means you got it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. short and sweet are good. this book sounds good too

    ReplyDelete
  5. Less is more!!! I live by that. Anyway, just finished reading 'Toxic Bachelors' by Danielle Steele. Very interesting read!! Trying to pick up Patricia Cornwell next for my vacation sometime next week. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. As I tell my students, "Quantity is not quality.." Then they write two sentences and I'm all "I'm taking a personal day tomorrow!"

    Just kidding. You always make me want to read (or not read, depending) the books you review. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Do you buy all these books? What do you do with them afterwards? I really want to start a book swap or something.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This book sounds very interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  9. TV Guide is EXCELLENT this week. Simon Baker, the Aussie hottie is on the cover!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Don't laugh,but I'm going to start "Twilight".Yup,I'm like one of only 2 people in the civilized world who hasn't read it,and now I'm going to,because I want to see for myself how it is.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I will have to check this out.
    But my question is this: I stopped growing when I was 12 does that mean I have Turner Syndrome? I am 5'2" and now I'm worried. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Short and sweet is fine ... you gave me enough info to decide that this might be worth checking out. I'll add it to the every growing list....

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm reading books on girl bullying, and Half Magic for my mother-daughter bookclub (to be followed by the Road to Terebithia). I have a Pride and Prejudice sequel on my nightstand that I haven't opened yet.

    ReplyDelete

Ya wanna say something? Then just say it.. spit it out already.. sheesh.