Monday, November 17, 2008

Whatever Happened to Good 'Ol Anarchy and Angst?


I just heard a Vampire Weekend song on PBS kids. I don't know why, but that made me all kinds of angry. What ever happened to "f the establishment?" and not selling out? What's next, hmm? Korn on a Green Giant Commercial? White Stripes for Sherman Williams? Is Metallica gonna make a song for Nick Jr? Yeah, I know.. Vampire weekend is not heavy rock..but still. It's the principle here people! Rock musicians used to be hard core, man! Do you think Kurt Cobain would endorse Noggin? I think not, sir, I think not!

I know what you're thinking... what was I doing watching PBS Kids at 1:30 in the afternoon when my daughter is in school all day? well, um... that's just how I roll.

10 comments:

  1. I'm cracking up, but don't know why.

    Is that why I keep coming back? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. you watch PBS when the kids are at school for the same reason I would watch Spongebob when my son was asleep.

    Sesame Place has been gettin more and more celebs on there too! guess they know that WE ARE watching too- lol! my son has no clue w/ Heidi Klum is!

    ReplyDelete
  3. too funny!! i love that you were watching pbs kids, without the kids!

    ReplyDelete
  4. no, I wasnt thin king that, but it is an interesting point... And I totally agree, have you also heard that they are seriously writing a storline about Bert and Ernies "Relationship" and why they live together... NoT cool. Tahnks for the laugh tho, lol!! LA

    ReplyDelete
  5. of course i knew what cartoon he was from! i just couldn't remember his name...i like Bloo! I'm so totally into Syd the Science Kid these days however...

    lol!

    ReplyDelete
  6. And then there's my beloved John Mellencamp singing for a Chevy commercial:(

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sesame Street gets special props from artists b/c Jim Henson was sooooo cool. And c'mon, any show that satirizes other shows with animal themed alternatives is tops... Did you ever see "Squeal a Fortune" ? Absolute genius!

    Now, as for the other commercial stuff.... yeachhh, the commoditization of everything and *most* artist being fully aware that they only have fifteen minutes to cash in on their fame have led to a wholesale sell-out.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We don't even have kids but the wife MUST watch cartoons every chance she can get.... lol

    ReplyDelete
  9. Being as how i live in a village in India (by choice, not by birth), none of the things you've written about in here are anything I can even recognize, what to speak of care about, yet something about your kickass attitude appealed to me :)))

    ReplyDelete

Ya wanna say something? Then just say it.. spit it out already.. sheesh.